- Address: No. 36-38, 11 lunie Street
- Telephone: 021 336 06 60
- Visiting hours:
- Tuesday – Sunday, 10:00 – 18:00
- *Ticket office closes at 17:30
R.A.T.B: 232, 117, 27, 7, 23
- Ticket prices:
- 5 lei – adults
- 2 lei – students, retirees, military officials, organised groups
- Free entry for children under 7 years of age.
- Photo/Filming fee: 15 le
The Ligia and Pompiliu Macovei Art Collection is located in the donors’ private residence, a building built at the beginning of the 20th century, in a French eclectic style. The Macovei house can be found on 11Iunie Street in Bucharest, near the Carol I Park. The Ligia and Pompiliu Macovei Art Collection is the latest addition to the Bucharest Municipality Museum’s patrimony (becoming a part of it in 1992) and portrays the aesthetical and architectural vision of two people with a background in art.
Pompiliu Macovei (1911-2009) was a diplomat for the Ion Mincu Institute of Architecture of Bucharest in 1939, and, after 1960, held numerous governmental and diplomatic functions. He was a counsellor at the Romanian delegation in Paris, the head of the diplomatic mission in Rome, the Deputy Minister of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the President of the State Committee for Culture and Art, and a UNESCO Ambassador.
Ligia Macovei (1916-1998), Pompiliu Macovei’s wife, attended classes at the Bucharest School of Fine Art’s Decorative Arts Department between 1934 and 1939, having been taught by people such as Cecilia Cuţescu Storck, J.Al. Steriadi, Corneliu Medrea and Horia Teodoru.
The Ligia and Pompiliu Macovei Art Collection is an original cultural incursion in different times and places. The collection features fine art pieces signed by Theodor Pallady, Lucian Grigorescu, Al. Ciucurencu, Dimitrie Ghiaţă, Gheorghe Petraşcu, Ioan Andreescu, J. Al. Steriadi, Iosef Iser, Nicolae Tonitza, Ion Ţuculescu, Marcel Iancu and M.H. Maxy; glasswork, ceramics, metalwork, pieces of furniture, and decorative textiles from various times and cultural spaces. It also features a large part of Ligia Macovei’s own work, as well as an important art library.