The Bucharest Municipality Museum unveils the story of the Filipescu-Cesianu House’s recent rehabilitation through an exhibition organised at Suțu Palace – “The Filipescu-Cesianu House – the story of rehabilitation”.

The exhibition will be inaugurated on Wednesday July 20th 2016 at 15:00, Suțu Palace, along with Dr. Adrian Majuru, Manager of the Bucharest Municipality Museum, and Architect Aurora Târşoagă – Head of the Filipescu-Cesianu House rehabilitation project. The exhibition will be open to visitors between July 20th and September 18th 2016, at Suțu Palace (I.C. Brătianu Boulevard, No. 2).

The exhibition illustrates the laborious steps necessary for the rehabilitation and re-inclusion of the Filipescu-Cesianu House within the touristic circuit of Bucharest. The House was originally built between 1846 and 1850, and was remodelled in 1892. It is a representative building for the architecture of the 19th century, one of the few aristocratic residences from the Belle Époque still faithful to its original design in today’s Bucharest. Several aristocratic families of Romania resided within its walls, such as Iancu Filipescu and Maria Ghica Filipescu. In 1892 Constantin Cesianu extends the residence with the support of architect Leonida Negrescu. On this occasion the exterior decorations, imperial roof, and residential gardens are also realised. The aspect of the Filipescu-Cesianu House before 1892 is unknown, yet it is obvious that the solution proposed by architect Leonida Negrescu radically modified the old appearance of the building.

The exhibition “The Filipescu-Cesianu House – the story of rehabilitation” wishes to bring to the public’s attention the ample consolidation and restoration process coordinated by a team of professionals by presenting the different procedural steps involved in the rehabilitation of the Filipescu-Cesianu House. Visitors will be able to see what the house looked like before work began, the end result after work was completed, as well as the steps in between. Its rehabilitation was done in order to give a corner of old Bucharest back to those who wish to experience it. The House’s rehabilitation was possible thanks to the support of the Bucharest Municipality City Hall and to a grant awarded through the Regio Operational Program 2007-2013.